Last night, er, I mean this morning I heard the doorbell ring. I jumped out of bed, threw my glasses on and looked at the clock: 2:30! The first thoughts that ran through my head were
1. some kids playing a joke
2. some sort of bad news (I mean they always tell you in person, don't they?)
3. Brazen robbers with the nerve to ring the doorbell!
It rang again, so I got Buddy up and sent him to get the door while I looked out the windows and grabbed the phone. I couldn't see any cars around so thought it must be #1 or #3.
Buddy finally got the door open and a girl comes in crying. I thought it was the neighbor girl across the street and she was going to say one of parents had a heart attack (they are very overweight) but instead it was the next door neighbor.
They had just gotten back from a comedy club and her husband went upstairs and fell asleep. He had 6 beers and is 245 lbs, so she didn't think he was totally wasted. Meanwhile, she changed and let the dog out. The dog wouldn't come in so she went out and the door locked behind her. All the other doors were locked and she couldn't get back in. She had tried ringing the doorbell, breaking down her door and thought about walking to the police station (but she didn't know where it was.) She also said she was thinking about breaking the window to her car and sitting in ituntil morning, which wouldn't have helped much. But when you're hypothermic what do you expect.
Finally after being outside ~25 minutes, she came to our door. Only wearing a jacket, a nightgown that reached her knees and some slip on shoes. (For those out of staters, there are still several inches of snow on the ground.) She came in and tried to call her house several times, but her husband was out cold.
Of course she kept apologizing and I kept saying it was fine, we were glad to help. She brought her dog in , which THANK GOD, was small, calm and good! She kept calling while I brought her a blanket and hot chocolate. We talked for about half an hour and Kelsey came down. I was hoping she would, because I really wanted to see her reaction to a dog in the house in the middle of the night. But it really didn't phase her.
After a while we moved Caleb to the crib in our room and she and her dog slept in the bed in Caleb's room. By the time we got up in the morning she had finally gotten through to her husband and was at home (I saw on my phone that the last call was at 6 AM)
A couple of hours ago, her husband came by and thanked us (me, since Buddy was at work and asked if we had any plans today.) I know that she is having a friend in from Chicago today, so I'll ask Buddy to ask him if he wants to go to J's b'ball game today.
I know they're both embarrassed, but I told her (and him when he came to thank us) that I"ve been wanting to get to know them better so it all worked out. I also told her I'm sure she will be laughing about this in a few weeks. (Buddy and I wandered what her greeting to him was like this morning!)
They moved in a few months ago from South Bend and I assume are Purdue grads since they go to all the home football games. Other then the Purdue thing, they are normal, nice, friendly people
The moral of the story: This just confirms all my thoughts on what trouble dogs are!
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(32)
-
▼
December
(20)
- No title
- Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!1
- Brrrrrrr
- Caleb loves to talk
- Amazing Grace
- Dogs! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
- Thanks Maw-maw and Paw-paw
- By the way.....
- Caleb and Kelsey pictures
- More pictures...
- My cooking helper
- First ever haircut
- Unbelievable footage!
- I'm getting the itch....
- Christmas get together
- Encore performance (Warning-boring if you're not a...
- No title
- Kelsey saying verse
- This can't be happening....
- Christmas 07
-
▼
December
(20)
1 comment:
I hope your neighbors across the street don't read your blog :)
Post a Comment