Monday, May 12, 2008

Amazing Race

The weekend was terrific!
Friday morning we loaded up the car (and I do mean loaded—we didn’t have a spare inch--that Caleb sure takes up a lot of room. I fit all my clothes in 1 Wal-Mart bag and my toiletries in another Wal-Mart bag. The rest of the trunk and any spare room in the car was stuff for Caleb.) Got to the park at 9:45. Shortly thereafter, people started arriving and the conference room became a hive of activity. I think we had 38 people there on Friday. Games and hikes ruled the day. Saturday was filled likewise but we also had the Amazing Race.
I was a little worried because I only had ~2 days to plan it (and 1 day was at work and the other day was at home with kiddos—which means not much time to work on it all.)
I also hadn’t been to Turkey Run in years, so only had a map to go on as far as distances and locations for task areas. I did call the park once and said I have a few random questions for you....I didn't tell them what I was doing though, I didn't want them to say "Not Allowed!". We had 6 teams compete. At each stop they had to choose to complete 1 of 2 challenges before getting the paper which gave them the name of the location to go next. It was up to them to figure out where the location was and the best way to get there. One of the stops they had to choose between finding an object marked with their team number or eating two mule (sp?) worms. Would you believe they all chose to eat the worms because it was faster. Yes, we’re all slightly competitive…. The teams who came in 1st and 2nd both had a kid on them, while the other teams were all adults-most of who were running most of the Race. The top two teams both made a key choice at the 2nd stop while the others chose a different task. So was it brains over brawn???
I would have loved to be in it, but since I planned it, I knew to much. Overall, I got good feedback. Even from Buddy who was disappointed he got 3rd place.
I’m thinking about having another one and this time having it be ½ day. I think between family, friends and friends-of-friends I could get a really good turnout.
1st Place: Lisa, Rusty, Cassidy
2nd Place: Bj, Cara, Ben
3rd Place: Jonathan, Buddy
4th Place: John, Brian
5th Place: Dan, Liz
6th Place: Scott, Karen
Thanks to all the helpers who manned the task/clue stations!

I was too tired last night to mess with the pictures-so they are in random order.
See wording below for explanations.


Teams are getting their first task: count the number of white chairs + post office boxes immediately outside and around the hotel OR build a tower using only cards 3-levels high.


No, he's not always good--but almost always!



Sunday morning at lobby of hotel.




Aunt Bev (with 2 little helpers) manning the 3rd stage. At this stage teams had to chose from hitting 5 3-point shots or serving behind the tennis line and hitting the marked target twice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if you should speak with Turkey Run and other parks to sell an Amazing Race package to their event coordinators. You'd have to title it differently and not pull leaves off of trees...
-Lori




FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

NeoCounter