Brownsburg: Mouse Trap
Brownsburg: Mouse trap
So we all got in our cars and headed to the park in Brownsburg. We were the first team to arrive -- basically because we knew they were serving lunch and Lori had pestered us all morning about what/when lunch would be. We told Cara to dangle a candy bar in front of her during the competition or tell her pizza was at the finish line to get her to go faster. Applebees sponsored a picnic style lunch of brats and hamburgers. We all ate and then they gave us the instructions for the next stage. One person had to be blindfolded the entire stage. Challenge 1: One participant digs through the sandbox blindfolded and must find one jewel of each color. The digger hands the jewel to partner who takes it. If they already have that color of jewel, it must go back in sand box. 8 different colored jewels are hidden and all 8 colors must be found. Duplicate colors and pennies added to make more difficult. After finding all jewels, take blindfolded partner to challenge number 2.
Challenge 2: The blindfolded member must cross a cheese filled path. Teammate can help the partner by directing from opposite side of the court. If you step on any cheese go back to beginning.
They had placed lots of plates of nacho cheese on a basketball court. And crossing it blindfolded was not easy.
They had to do this part of the race in groups, because there were only 3 sandboxes to use. David and I were the first out of our group, completing in 9 minutes. But Lori/Cara had one of the lowest times at 7 minutes. The blindfolded partner had to do these events barefoot, and yes, I did step in nacho cheese, but it had hardened by then. I must not have done anything too bad to David as a child because he did not run me into any trees or poles. On the other hand, Lori did try to run Cara into the stopclock board. And I believe that I have videotape evidence that I will try to post.
We then headed onto Avon park.
Here we have some controversy…
At Avon there were 4 events, however, each team only had to complete 2. The teams did not get to pick which 2 events, you had to randomly pull a stick which would tell you which 2 events to do.
1. Sling Shot Paint: 25 balloons filled with paint. Throw them with a ??? toward the marked point spots. Must get 25 points.
2. Build a fire: Build Fire and get it to burn raised rope.
3. Memory sniff: 8 scents labeled at 2 tables. One table had scents labeled A-H and one table had scents labeled 1-8. Tables were across sand volleyball court. Race from one table to the other and try to identify which scents from A-H matched which scent from 1-8. Had to leave scent bottles at table of origin.
4. Build a kite out of skewers and plastic bags. Race across field and back.
David and I drew build a kite and memory scent. We finished our flag and raced down the field and back before anyone else. It had a whole page filled with directions, but I stationed us right by the example flag and used that instead. We ran to memory scent and pretty much ran into a brick wall. We’re still not convinced that the tables had matching scents. We pretty much kept writing numbers down until we guessed the correct ones. (She would circle the ones we had right) The very first time after we had gone across the volleyball court a bazillion times and thought we had it, she only circled one right! It was suuuuuuuuper hard. It took us 20 minutes to finish the Avon Stage.
Lori/Cara drew build a fire/paint throw. They said they built the fire pretty easily. The missed the targets the first few times they threw the paint, but eventually got the hang of it. Cara is not convinced they got the 25 balloons they were supposed too. They did not get the required 25 points. They hit their clock and were in at 10:30. They were assessed a 20 minute penalty because they did not get 25 points at the paint balloon. So their time was bumped up to 30:30. *Remember this for later*
We then headed to Plainfield Rec.
The first event we had to do was the soccer & b’ball shoot. Get one 3 point shot and 1 soccer goal.
Lori got her 2nd 3-point grannyshot attempt to go in and Cara took about 5 shots to get her soccer goal in.
David got his 1st soccer goal in and came over to help me w/my 3 point shot. My form was perfect, I know it! I hit the back of the rim, bounced out. Back of the rim, bounced out. Front of the rim, bounced out. Back of the rim bounced out. Finally, it went in. Boooo!
Next we had to go upstairs and skip around a track. I hate skipping now. That’s all I’ll say.
We were then supposed to do the waterslide event, but it was cancelled because of lightening.
So the Race was officially over.
We went downstairs to a meeting room. I felt we had done pretty well, pretty sure in the top 5, but I really wanted in the top 3…and of course really wanted to win! They had Donato’s pizza and more food/drink for us. We got to watch pictures the staff had taken of all of us doing the events. Then they came out to give us the results. 17…16….15…..14….13….12….11….10….9….8…..7. Team number 16 The Soccer Moms Lori/Cara!!! 6…. 5….. 4…… I was really excited when they hadn’t said our name yet. 3. Team number 1 David/ Leah.
We missed 2nd by only 2 minutes and 1st by 11 minutes. 1st place got $250, 2nd place got $100 and 3rd place got $50.
Without the 20 minute penalty at Avon, Lori/Cara would have placed 5th. Pretty good!
The staff was really great and had it really well organized. They gave us way more then the $20 team entry fee. Cannot wait for next year’s! Next year is in July so mark your calendars. I am seriously going to stalk their website until registration begins because I know they will fill up fast. Everyone there had a great time. No, you’re not too old to do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment